On my “Matt Cutts” twitter account a few days ago I asked other folks which WordPress “Related Posts” plug-in they would recommend. It seems like “Related Posts” extensions go in and out of vogue every few years, so I wanted to hear what smart folks were using lately. The plugins that got recommended the most to me were:
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP), by mitcho (Michael 芳貴 Erlewine).
- Similar Posts, by Rob Marsh.
- Aizattos Related Posts, by, um, Aizatto, I guess. This plugin no longer seems to be maintained officially, so that link is to an unofficial mirror.
- WordPress Related Posts, by Denis (Hua?).
- Wasabi Related entries plug-in.
I did a little digging on each of these. My criteria (in order) was: the easiest plugin to install, that appeared to be actively maintained, and ideally would give me lots of options. The first one I ended up trying was Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP), and mitcho has really done a fantastic job on it:
– It’s trivial to install.
– You don’t have to edit your WordPress template.
– The relevance is good: the suggested posts are related, and you can tweak thresholds and how things are computed if you want.
So I think I’m happy. Even the things that I might want down the road (show the date of posts, RSS feed support, and sentence-aware excerpts) are on the to-do list. But the plug-in is very usable even without any tweaking. I’ll include a screenshot of the options page in case you want to see what sort of flexibility you have:
Well done, mitcho! If you feel strongly that another Related Posts plugin is better, feel free to say so in the comments.