As I mentioned earlier, my current network-attached storage (NAS) box took a hit in a power outage. This is what it looked like after I took it apart to swap in a new hard drive.
So I’m looking for a new NAS. Price isn’t really a concern at all, but here’s stuff that I require:
- Ability to hot-swap drives. My current NAS requires 22 screws (!) to replace a hard drive.
- Gigabit ethernet
- Anything can reach it (Linux/Mac/Windows)
- Lots of drive bays (four at least)
- Quiet and fast
Some stuff that would be nice:
- Ability to accept hard drives of different sizes
- Ability to work with a uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
- Ability to email if there are issues
- Lots of server potential (Sonos, Squeezebox, iTunes, DLNA, FTP server, printserver)
- Ability to run linux or otherwise ssh in
Do you have a NAS that you’d recommend?