Okay, I recently made the cheesiest favicon evah. (A favicon is that little icon beside a url in the address bar of your browser.) December14.net gives a great explanation of how to make your own favicon.
The brief version on Windows XP is:
- Download Paint.NET.
- Resize your blank image to 16×16.
- Change your window size to 3200% (it’s a drop-down).
- Toggle grid mode on (right next to the window size drop-down).
- Make a dinky image with 16 or so colors.
- Save as favicon.png (in PNG format). It might look like this:
- Use png2ico (warning: zip file) with syntax like “png2ico favicon.ico –color 16 favicon.png” to make your favicon.ico file. That’s two dashes before the “color.” Silly WordPress converts it to a single long dash. Anybody know how to undo that?
- Upload the favicon.ico file to the root level of your website.
Not so hard, except for the part requiring artistic talent. That why all my doodles are geometric.